GMC was founded in 1901 as the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company inPontiac,Michigan, by the Grabowsky brothers, Max and Morris. In 1905 the brothers, sensing a good deal, sold up to the originators of thePontiacbrand. Both, or all three, were gobbled up in 1908 by Walter Durant and his burgeoning General Motors company, and the rest, as they say, is (GM) history. The car side retained its name ofPontiacand the truck side was renamed General Motors Commercial. It would be an exaggeration to say that it’s been a picnic for GMC ever since, but where’sPontiac now? Whereas 111 year-old GMC sails serenely on, making upscale Chevys and big profits for the parent General.
Please subscribe to our RSS feed, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and check out our YouTube channel. If you like what we do and would like to support Autosavant, please consider visiting our sponsors. If you need to buy anything on Amazon, clicking on our banner first helps keep Autosavant running. Thanks!
- Long Term Test: F-150 FX4 Ecoboost Update 2 April 2, 2012
- What Happened To The 1957 Plymouth Belvedere Buried in Tulsa? Updated 2/24/2012 February 23, 2012
- Vote for Me Chrysler’s Blogger Faceoff! February 27, 2012
- Long Term, The Price of Gasoline Will Keep Rising March 14, 2012
- Complaints About the Names of Cars January 27, 2012
- McLaren Announces Limited Production 50 12C Roadster and 12C Spider Variants May 24, 2013
- Lamborghini Celebrates 50 Years With a Triple Celebration May 23, 2013
- Review: 2013 Volvo S60 T5 AWD May 23, 2013
- Toyota Reclaims Most Valuable Car Brand Title From BMW May 21, 2013
- BMW Reveals Facelifted 2014 5 Series Lineup May 21, 2013
- Troy: I predict Buick drops the Regal in a few years. Th...
- Troy: My device started going off at totally random abou...
- Stan C: I am convinced that people think these devices mon...
- Lewis: I'm glad to see that Audi is continuing the tradi...
- kenny budden: ok,ok, ford is the best, chev is the best,whatever...