If you like cars, you’ll love AutoRama. It’s the premiere event during the winter months when inclement weather puts the kibosh on outdoor car shows. If you’ve been to one, you know what I mean. If you haven’t, here’s the top five reasons to check one out; highlights from last weekend’s 61st Detroit AutoRama.
5. Get close to iconic vehicles. This year features not one, but three generations of Batmobiles, Tow Mater from the movie Cars, and the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazard TV series.
4. Celebrate massive amounts of horsepower. Superchargers, turbochargers, high-flow intakes and low-restriction exhausts — anything and everything to move you from here to there, faster. Much faster!
3. Reminisce over faithful restorations, whose purist owners who honor vehicle originality and authenticity, down to the last bolt and decal. Many of these marquees are gone from the streets, but not from our hearts.
2. International Show Car Association (ISCA) completion: Vehicles compete in categories ranging from “mild” to “wild” customizations. Each vehicle is meticulously prepared, the result of hundreds of man-hours of blood, sweat and tears.
1. World-class, one-of-a-kind custom cars competing for the prestigious Ridler award. The Ridler emphasizes vehicle creativity, engineering and workmanship. Vehicles must prove minimal operability. Only cars shown for the first time are eligible. The sky’s the limit here. Two words: “automotive sculpture”.
There’s much more, and there’s still time, especially if you’re within driving distance of Boston, Omaha or Winnipeg!
Photos were taken by Steve Lagreca. You can find more of Steve’s work on the Full Throttle Facebook page.
To find an AutoRama near you, go to http://www.autorama.com/.