Honda Will Export RHD cars From China to U.K.

By Brendan Moore

03.22.07

In what is merely the latest evidence that cars produced in China will soon be ubiquitous on a global basis, Honda has announced that it has improved one of it’s production plants in Guangzhou, China in order to produce both right hand drive and left hand drive versions of the City and the Jazz.

The Jazz is essentially the same car as the wonderful Honda Fit in the States, and the City is a sedan version of the Jazz (Fit) which we don’t see here in the U.S.

Honda forecasts Chinese exports of 42,000 vehicles to Europe, with 40% of that total equipped with RHD. Only the U.K. in Europe requires RHD vehicles. The other 60% of the production will be LHD and be distributed to more than 30 countries in Europe, including Spain, France, Germany, etc. The cars produced in China will supplement the growing appetite for the Jazz in the U.K. – last year over 30,000 of the cars were sold in the U.K., all from Japan. Supply did not match demand as many would-be buyers were left wanting, so Honda has now increased the amount of cars shipped into the United Kingdom.

COPYRIGHT Autosavant.net – All Rights Reserved

Author: Brendan Moore

Brendan Moore is a Principal Consultant with Cedar Point Consulting , a management consulting practice based in the Washington, DC area. He also manages Autosavant Consulting, a separate practice within Cedar Point Consulting. where he advises businesses connected to the auto industry. Cedar Point Consulting can be found at http://www.cedarpointconsulting.com.

Share This Post On

1 Comment

  1. Speaking for my self as a Brit, I say, let’s get to it.

    As long as the Honda quality holds up.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.